Would you like to start your own private ragnarok server that is emulator based without spending much? Here’s your answer! Read more below for more information.
First, let’s talk about GCP (Google Cloud Platform). Why? Because they offer free trial period which last for a year and has a credit of $300 which you can use to rent Compute Engine (VM) that will run the ragnarok pserver.
What do you need to do to have a free trial account?
- A working gmail account – this is where you will access your console/project dashboard.
- Credit/Debit Card – to verify you’re not a robot and prevent spam. Don’t worry they will not charge you anything however they will just get this information to store it.
- Basic compute/cloud knowledge – to navigate on their resources
Once you have the 3 above, you can start by going to their console website. Create an account by filling in the details needed such as name, e-mail address (gmail), password and billing account setup. After successfully setting up your account, you will then proceed on creating your 1st project which will be named by default “My First Project”.
With the project created, it is now the start of setting up your ragnarok server. To do it, follow the steps below. (Note: I’ll be using rAthena Emulator as reference)
- Go to Compute Engine Dashboard (Navigation Menu -> Compute -> Compute Engine) – at first, it will activate the API and might take at least a minute or two. Just be patient.
- At the CE Dashboard, create your very first instance (VM) by clicking “Create Instance”. You can refer to their public documentation for more details. Important: Ragnarok server only support some Operating System, kindly see rAthena’s installation guide for more details.
- After creating your instance that depends on the OS, follow rAthena’s guide on downloading the server’s prerequisite or resources needed for it to be successful running.
- Create the firewall rules needed for players to connect to your game server. Details can be found here.
- Start your server, connect to the game using your created client and you’re done.
Now, let’s compute how your $300 will last. Basically a normal rAthena server that will cater 100-200 players will only need 1vCPU and 2-3Gb of RAM with 15 Gb SSD that will cost your around $24-28 depending on the region where your instance is created. With that being said, your server would last 10 months without traffic. BUT GCP bills you also for the amount of egress traffic that you use, you can read more about it on their Network Service Tiers Pricing. However, you can always check free trial’s always free usage limit so that you can estimate how much you will be paying. So roughly, your server will last 8-9 months.
Caveat: This is not a spoon feed guide. You also have to do some research or need to read other resources for you to be able to setup it correctly. I don’t believe that spoon feeding the information will make the server setup good. You need to have at least a mindset that you are willing to learn the process.